Thursday, January 12, 2012

# fitness

12 Healthy Tips to Suppress Your Craving and Eat Less

The University of Scranton and the Journal of Clinical Psychology came out with the Top 10 New Year's Resolutions for 2012.

The #1 resolution for 2012 is LOSE WEIGHT. #5 is STAYING FIT AND HEALTHY

Along with these stats are percentages of Americans who are successful in achieving their resolution. Ready for the percentage? 8%. That's it. 8% of Americans who make New Year's Resolutions actually achieve their goals.

If you are one of these Americans who chose to "lose weight" or "stay fit and healthy," like me, it is important to not only exercise but to watch what you put into your body as well. Here are some tips that are easy to do to fight those cravings, eat less, and achieve your goal.

These tips come from my personal trainer.

12 HEALTHY tips to suppress cravings and eat less. (Notice I said HEALTHY.)
  1. Drink a big glass of water. Wait 10 minutes. See if you are still hungry.
  2. Chew a piece of gum.
  3. Chew a piece of gum while you cook.
  4. When you crave a sweet, go on a walk, or do a project.
  5. Eat a piece of fruit. It’s better to have sugar from fruit rather than to eat refined sugars.
  6. 3-Bite Rule: Eat 3 bites of the sweet craving and then throw the rest away. (I prefer to drown it in water and turn the garbage disposal on. There is something psychological for me about putting it in water rather than just throwing it away. If I throw it away in the garbage, I can see it every time I throw something else away and I think "what a waste!" But, if I put it in water, it becomes "damaged goods" and once it is down the disposal it is out of sight, out of mind.
  7. Brush your teeth after meals and snacks.
  8. Don’t eat standing up.
  9. Don’t eat kids’ leftovers. It's okay to put leftovers in a plastic bag or container for later. As for yourself, if you are satisfied, stop. Don't feel like you have to 'clear your plate.' This was hard for me since I was taught to finish everything on my plate. It's okay to save it for later.
  10. Kitchen closes at 6:00 pm.
  11. Clean up after you prepare a meal/snack, BEFORE you eat.
  12. FOOD LOG! Log EVERYTHING you eat! (meals, snacks, water) Check out apps for food logs. Fooducate, MyFitnessPal, MyNetDiary, etc.
Choose the tips that will help you most.

Good luck with your goals! You can do it!!




1 comment:

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us