Back to breakfast! Here's another healthy idea for breakfast (or for a snack). I like bran muffins and I like to make them quickly. Kellogg's has a great recipe for bran muffins using their All-Bran Original cereal. It's pretty good. However, I'm not a fan of the oil in the original recipe and I'd like it to be a little bit tastier. So, I've modified it a little bit.
The following recipe is an adaptation of Kellogg's All-Bran Original cereal muffin recipe.
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups Kellogg's All-Bran Original cereal
1 1/4 c. skim (fat free) milk
1/4 c. UNSWEETENED applesauce
chocolate chips (This is where the extra tasty part comes in. It also makes the muffin a little more moist.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Kellogg's All-Bran Original cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
- Add egg and applesauce to the milk and cereal mixture.
- Stir well. Add in flour mixture and mix well. Add chocolate chips to liking.
- Portion evenly into 12 muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray. (DO NOT USE CUPCAKE LINERS! The whole muffin will stick to the paper!)
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
It will look mushy when you mix everything together. It's supposed to look like that.
When they come out of the oven, they will look delicious!
What to do with the leftovers before you eat them all? Put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. They will reheat nicely tomorrow morning. Wrap a frozen muffin in a damp paper towel and reheat it in the microwave. Now you have breakfast for a week or more!